It doesn’t take much to cause a serious slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accident. All types of hazards can lead to serious injuries. These accidents account for over 1 million ER visits each year in the U.S. and often happen when you least expect them. While everyone is at risk for injury, in most cases people underestimate the impact of both the financial and health ramifications that may come from it. The following facts describe the seriousness of slip-and-fall accidents and why you may have a right to be compensated.
Most Common Locations Of Accident
- Workplace Accidents – According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) the three leading causes of work-related injuries treated in an emergency department were related to contact with objects and equipment, overexertion, and bodily reaction, as it relates to falls, slips, and trips.
- Accidents at Sporting Events and Sports Facilities- The National Health Statistics Reports that, although exposure to sports offers many health benefits, participating in sports also increases the risk of injury. An estimated annual 5.6 million sports injuries affected children and young adults between 2011–2014. Sports injuries are a common type of injury presenting to hospital EDs and are most common among older children and young adults.
- Accidents at Medical Treatment Facilities – According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics , the incidence rate of lost-workday injuries from slips, trips, and falls on the same level in hospitals was 38.2 per 10,000 employees, which was 90% greater than the average rate for all other private industries combined (20.1 per 10,000 employees). As a whole, they are the second most common cause of lost-workday injuries in hospitals.
- Accidents at Restaurants and Bars – More than 4 million workers and patrons of restaurants and food service locations are injured each year as a result of slip and fall accidents, according to ISSA, the worldwide cleaning industry association.
- Accidents at Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Facilities- According to The National Institute on Aging, every year 30% of people over the age of 65 will sustain a fall, of which 10% will result in a serious injur. Over 60% of nursing home residents will fall each year.
Most Common Types of Personal Injuries
- Broken Bones – Broken bones are the most common slip, trip, and fall injuries. They can range from broken arms, wrists, legs, or feet – or much more serious injuries. Elderly individuals are most at risk. The NIH Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center report that breaking a bone after a fall becomes more likely as a person ages. Often they are unaware of the frequent link between a broken bone and osteoporosis.
- Brain Injury – Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries. Among all age groups, falls can cause serious injury and are the second leading cause of trauma in brain injury (TBI) – related deaths with a 17% increase in the US from 2008 to 2017.
- Hip Fractures- Hip fractures occur most frequently in slip and fall victims who are 65-years of age or older. Half of all elderly adults (over the age of 65) hospitalized for hip fractures cannot return home or live independently after the fracture. In general, 95% of hip fractures stem from slip and fall accidents for all ages and can require painful and invasive surgery.
Average Cost of a Slip and Fall
- Business Expense- According to a study by insurance industry leader The Hartford, the average payout for a slip-and-fall injury is only $20,000. Compare that with the average claim of $33,000, and your business could be out $13,000, even if you’ve met your deductible.
- Personal Expense – An person suffering from a slip, trip or fall incident misses an average of 11 work-days and has the potential for lost wages, unexpected medical costs, and rehabilitation. In fact, medical bills cost Americans over $34 billion each year.
Compensation For Damages
Mazzeo Law is comprised of some of the best personal injury attorneys in Las Vegas. We understand that each situation is unique and therefore compensation is contingent on the specifics of that accident. Our team is experienced in reviewing each detail of your personal injury case to make sure you are compensated for your injury, medical expenses, lost earnings and/or emotional distress. If you have suffered a slip and fall in Las Vegas, Nevada, the law may give you the right to recover from the responsible party. While compensation is not guaranteed, it is possible. Don’t hesitate to call.
The attorneys of Mazzeo Law, LLC, are Las Vegas personal injury attorneys with over 29 years of litigation experience. Whether or not you think you have a case, give us a call, and let’s chat.
- Email us at email@example.com
- Call and talk to an attorney at (702) 382-3636.
- Click here and fill out our contact form, and we’ll get back to you right away.
[wpseo_map max_number=”undefined” width=”400″ height=”300″ zoom=”-1″ map_style=”roadmap” scrollable=”1″ draggable=”1″ show_route=”0″ show_state=”0″ show_phone=”1″ show_phone_2=”1″ show_fax=”1″]
[wpseo_address show_state=”1″ show_country=”1″ show_phone=”1″ show_phone_2=”1″ show_fax=”1″ show_email=”1″ show_logo=”0″]